Wednesday, July 6, 2011

How to be active in LALAland!

To continue with fitness/health week we have decided to share with you some of our favorite tips on how to lead an active and healthy lifestyle!

Andrea:
I've always been a very active person who eats pretty healthily, but I certainly have my times when all I want is pizza or some other unhealthy food. I try to live by certain rules however, to help me maintain a good lifestyle.
1)Don't eat late at night: I try not to eat anything after 8 pm. We start to slow down at this point in the night so it's not good for digestion to let it sit all night. Now sometimes I can't avoid this because I get home too late from work. In this case I would just eat a very small meal to tide me over until the morning, but I would never stuff myself.
2)Drink a glass of water before every meal. A lot of times, our bodies mix up the signals for thirst and hunger. Many times that you think you are hungry, your body is instead thirsty, you just don't know it. To prevent this from happening, I try to drink a large glass of water 20 minutes before I eat a meal. That way my body gets the water it wants, and I don't overeat.
3)Don't buy junk food. I know it sounds silly, but as a college student it can be really tempting to load up on snacks and junk food. My theory is that if it's not in my apartment I don't have a way to get it, so I won't eat it. Plus that's more money to spend on healthy things, such as fruits and veggies!
4)Drink milk after a workout. Now I know some of you might not be as much of a milk drinker as I am, but my mom got me started on drinking a glass of milk after I'm done working out. It helps to get that protein in right away so your body can build muscle!
5)Just one more. One thing I've been doing really good at is running one extra mile at the end of my workout. It doesn't matter what I may have done for my workout that day, I will always try to push one last mile out of me before I call it quits. For you it doesn't have to be a mile. Maybe it's 50 more crunches or 50 squats. Whatever it may be, try to push yourself just that little bit extra. You'll be really proud of yourself when you're done. I promise!

Lindsey:
So I am not exactly the healthiest person on the planet but I try to stay someone active and healthy. Here are my top five tips...
1) Keep a food journal: You have probably read this 1,000 times in other places but it really does help. You don't even have to count calories. Simply being aware of what you are shoving in your mouth can save you hundreds of calories a day.
2) Water, water, water: Another cliche tip but a good one. I don't go anywhere without my 1 liter water bottle. I swear by lemon water. Just squeeze some fresh lemon juice in and go! It keeps you healthy and helps ward off hunger pains.
3) Go to the gym no matter what: Some days when I really really don't want to go to the gym I will force myself to put the clothes on and at least show up. If I get all the way there and still don't want to work out I will allow myself to go home but 99% I'll get a good work out in. Even if its just 20 minutes its better than nothing.
4) Take home boxes: At restaurants I'll ask for a to-go box right when my food comes and pack half up immediately. Restaurant portions are so huge half of a meal is almost always enough to fill me up and then I have a meal for later or tomorrow!
5) Get active with friends: One of my favorite things to do is go on long walks with friends. The conversation is so good you won't even notice you just clocked 2 miles. Why not try out a new yoga or spinning class (my favorite) with a friend?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LALAland © 2011. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO